Sunday, December 7, 2008

Our Christmas shirts!!!

Today we had a fun day! We got up, had breakfast and got ready to go to the store to buy plain white t-shirts to make our annual Christmas tees. The kids love it! It's become a tradition in our house. And let's face it, I bought the little one's shirts for $3 and my oldest daughter's shirt for $4 and by making them ourselves saved about $7 or more per shirt. AND they are more fun because they are personalized with their names, year and so on.

These are our reindeer shirts. We made these ones a couple of years ago so I knew they would be a hit again. Here are step by step directions for you to make your own.


NOTE: Now, be sure that you put something like a magazine or something on the inside of the shirt *before* you put any paint on it. I made this dumb mistake today and after I got the whole front of the shirt done I realized that back was ruined! So I have to go back to the store tomorrow and pick up another $4 shirt and start all over again! Greeeat!


Step 1:
Paint the foot! But do not paint the toes; they just get in the way of the antlers!

Step 2:
Place the foot in middle of shirt. (DUH! lol)

Step 3:
Paint the hands.

Step 4: Place the hands on either side of the foot to make antlers.
Step 5: Paint on eyes and nose. I added a little gold puffy paint glitter on the nose to make it shine. And some gold glittery eyelashes for the girls' shirts. (Sorry you can't see the nose very well in this pic!)

Step 6: Pencil on the 'Rudolph' and 'The red-nosed reindeer' before you puffy paint it! It makes things so much easier!

That's it for the front. Then we move onto the back of the shirt. Now since I have three kids I decided to make the backs all different to follow the song. So the front of their shirts the song starts and on the backs they keep going. On my youngest daughter's shirt I put, 'Had a very shiney nose...'. (CRAP! Did I spell 'shiney' wrong? Is it shiny? Or shiney? I may be redoing another one of these darn shirts! Ahhhh...)


And on the back of my son's I put, 'And if you ever saw it...'.
And then on my oldest daughter's shirt I am going to put, 'You would even say it glows!'

Sorry I haven't finished my oldest daughter's shirt yet so I don't have a pic to go with this. But I'm sure you can imagine! We added musical notes to all three shirts to make them a little extra pretty! I also added some gold glittery puffy paint to make the notes sparkle! I am also going to put their name down one sleeve and the year down the other!

I hope you like these! The kids had fun painting each other and I had tons of fun doing the rest of them! lol These are the shirts they will wear to go see Santa, to their winter parties at school and on Christmas morning! They're such great keepsakes! They get really excited to see how much their hands and feet have grown each year!

Oh and just to add some more fun to our day I splurged and bought a ginger bread house kit (at Wal-Mart for $10) for them to make. It turned out great! I did the icing, door and windows and let them have at the rest of it! lol I think this will be a new Christmas tradition in our house!

9 comments:

Yasmine said...

your shirt idea is so cute- (shiny--shiney its all the same) just say you kids spelled it wrong, it wasnt you!! LOL

Chelsea Van Tol said...

too cute! looks like fun

Staci A said...

The shirts are so cute! Very creative. Your gingerbread house turned out well too, even with the kits, ours always looks awful!

~Michelle~ said...

This is the cutest idea I've ever seen, and I'm TOTALLY going to steal it! I don't think my oldest two (12 and 11) would enjoy it, but I know my 3 and 2 year old would LOVE it! Do you just buy regular acrylic paint from the craft store? You are super crafty, I doubt my shirts could ever come out that cute! I'll have to do them this weekend and take pics and post them..

OH, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it *is* 'SHINY'.. Hate to see you do all that hard work again!

Bloggymommy said...

Thanks ladies! I can't take all the credit though; a friend gave me the idea a couple of years ago.

I called my mom last night and asked her how to spell 'shiny' and I did spell it wrong! Ahhh...oh well! My mom said to just wear it around dumb people! lol I'm not going to redo it though. I spent way too much time on it and I don't want to spend another $3 on a shirt! I know....I'm cheap! We'll know for next year!

Mommy Goggles said...

Those shirts are previous!

Bloggymommy said...

LOL! Thanks! Did you mean precious? lol

Kimberly5 said...

I'm still trying to figure out if I leave reply comments on my blog or go to the person blog to reply back lol
Anyhoo, yeah my arm feels okay and she is doing good. Three of my kids have asthma :(
My 6 yr old has it the worst and is on a bunch of meds to keep it controlled, plus allergies on top of that to make things worse.
So hopfully the flu shot works and everyone stays as healthy as can be.
Hugs

Bloggymommy said...

I hear ya Kimberly! I don't really know either! I usually will either make a comment back here OR just go to the person's blog and leave a comment there so they get an extra hit! lol

((hugs)) right back to ya! ;)